What is Autism?
Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is a condition that can lead to social, learning, and behavioral problems in day to day life.
Autism does not change how a person looks but it can change how a person interacts, learns, and communicates with their surrounding world.
Common signs of autism include avoiding contact, repeating behaviors such as rocking back and forth, and lack of a social smile. A diagnosis of Autism is something that only a professional can do and it often involves multiple factors that lead to a diagnosis; there is not one thing that can cause Autism.
- Center for Autism & Developmental Disabilities: 214-648-0102
- Autism Speaks www.autismspeaks.org/
- Mayoclinic www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/autism-spectrumdisorder
- The Autism Blog – Seattle Children’s Hospital www.theautismblog.seattlechildrens.org/
- CDC www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/families.html